Saturday, October 24, 2009

1st Time for Everything

I’ve been called a lot of things, but crafty is NOT one of them.
Until now.
I’ve taken it upon myself to MAKE Zhaina’s Halloween costume this year!

Let me start from the beginning. A few weeks ago I asked Zhaina what she wanted to be for Halloween and without hesitation she replied, "Tiger." Okay, I could deal with that. So I started researching ways in which to transform my uber-girly preschooler into a ferocious tiger. After a few days I gave up, it wasn’t possible. On to Plan B.

"Zhaina, I can’t find a tiger costume, what else do you wanna be?"

And Zhaina being her little sweetheart self, wasn’t disappointed in the least (thank God)! She just took a minute to think that over and then informed me that she’d like to be a Rainbow instead. Rainbow?!!? And I thought a tiger was hard…

Rainbow research commenced and I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of inspirations I was able to find. But now comes the hard part…construction of said costume.

I started with the "pot of gold" (at the end of the Rainbow, get it?) that will play double duty as part of her costume and as her trick or treat bag.




I was able to reuse a play-doh bucket from Zhaina’s toy closet along with a few simple inexpensive supplies from the fabric store and







voila…Pot of Gold!



Stay tuned for crafty project #2, where you'll see the above tulle transformed into a
Rainbow Tutu!

2 comments:

  1. while i was reading this i was totally thinking rainbow tutu! i think it'll turn out great. the pot of gold looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you documented this!! I wish I was there to watch:)

    ReplyDelete