Sunday, January 10, 2010

Seeing Stars

As many of you already know, my friend Angela Schweiberger's 7-week-old baby, Myles, died last month. I'm honored to have been asked to be part of a group of local women whom love and and surround Angela and her family as they grieve and honor their son. We are collectively making the family a quilt, each of us making our own 12 inch square (12 1/2" unfinished) to be tied together. There will be a few different "work bee" sessions where we will gather to brainstorm and sew together. Since I do not sew, this project is sure to be a challenge for me, but I am so happy to be a part of something so warm and loving.

For my square I plan to use some of Zhaina's old recieving blankets as fabric. I've decided to quilt a star because the night I heard of his death I went outside, looked up to the sky and said a prayer for Angela and Myles as I looked at the stars, and ever since then everytime I look up at the night sky I am reminded of him and his journey, and Angela, and what pain she must feel, and how lucky I am that I've never expeirenced the pain of loosing a child. So for me and my contribuiton to the quilt a star just feels right.

But this is the part where I am asking for your help. In my research I've found 2 quilt patterns that I think are beautiful, but not exactly what I was picturing in my mind. One is here, and the other is here. I had been thinking of a more traditional 5 point star.

What do you think? Remember I've never quilted a day in my life. Oh and the first "work bee" is next Saturday.

3 comments:

  1. Do you have a sewing machine? That would help:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know what i'd do.... i would just applique a star on instead of going by a pattern. i think it'd be cuter and more authentic. just cut out a star from fabric and blanket stich it on. you could even get some embroidery thread and make little stars all around it. it'd be so cute. just a suggestion :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You DO love your coffee!
    I'm in with the half and half but 150 is still too hot for me.

    ReplyDelete