Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Highlight Reel

Since arriving in Greece 1 week ago we've done so many things, it's difficult to know where to start. So instead of filling you in on all of our goings on, I will simply share with you "the highlights."






During our stay in Athens Zhaina was lucky enough to have a birthday celebration with family. I dressed her in one of the dresses from my childhood, a blue one that was purchased in Greece for me when I was 4, my second trip to my father's homeland. And although no one at the party was aware of this, her wearing it gave me such personal delight.





Upon our arrival a few days later in Samos, I was overcome by a sense of belonging on an Island that I've only started coming to 10 short years ago. But in these 10 years I've gone from a teenager to a full grown woman, a mother in fact. And now my Zhaina girl and I see this small Island as another one of our homes, not a "second home" as I cannot place it behind, but another home, a place where we feel our hearts can rest.



The other day we ran into a friend a the local ice cream shop and he said to me in broken english; "I saw your father with an unusally big smile last week and he said to me, 'my grand-daughter is coming.' "



As we walked along the cobblestone street hand in hand, Zhaina looked up and said, "MaMa, remember that place, that one that we went to in the mountain where we saw God, I want to go there."



and so we did.






20 comments:

  1. What a great post! It brought tears! You girls are very lucky and blessed:) Thinking about you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. when i come can i go there too? ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. sweet post...first you led her to God...now she's leading you...how perfect is that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 生存乃是不斷地在內心與靈魂交戰;寫作是坐著審判自己。......................................................................

    ReplyDelete
  5. 成功多屬於那些很快做出決定,卻又不輕易變更的人。而失敗也經常屬於那些很難做出決定,卻又經常變更的人.................................................................

    ReplyDelete
  6. why am I getting all of these comments written with Asian characters? I can't read them. Are they spam? Does anyone know?....

    ReplyDelete
  7. 找一個懂妳的人也期許自己做一個人懂別人的人~.........................................

    ReplyDelete
  8. wonderful post :) hope you're having fun... looking forward to your return.

    yes, most likely spam :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. 真正仁慈的人,會忘記他們做過的善行,他們全心投入現在的工作,過去的事已被遺忘。.................................................

    ReplyDelete